Monday, April 25, 2011

Um, maybe

I can remember in high school talking about places I really wanted to go, live and avoid.  I aspired to attend college in Tacoma, Tempe and even Greeley.  I could not wait to visit France, Italy and Germany to enjoy wonderful food and culture.  I really wanted to avoid living after college in some place warm or extremely buggy.  I also never thought or even considered that I would be travelling to Rwanda and Ethiopia.  I had heard of Ethiopia the multiple times my Mom reminded me, "There are possibly people starving in Ethiopia who would love to have those brussel sprouts/beets/zucchini young man.  Eat it!"  Otherwise, not sure either ever crossed my mind until much later in life and after a relationship with my savior and wife.

Neither Sheri nor I have traveled outside of North America.  We have both been to well over 30 states each with a plan in the future to at least visit the 48 contiguous with our children including national parks and monuments in each state possible.  We also want to visit Alaska and Hawaii at some point, but that may be down the line a bit.  We both also have been to Mexico multiple times with Missionary Builders in Galeana.  Multiple times to Reynosa and various other border crossings (still love La Fogata, try the cabrito).  I visited Canada when I was younger when we went to Niagara Falls (I really want to go back and take that barrel with me).

Sheri and I will be taking a big step in traveling to Rwanda to pick up our son.  We started vaccinations a year ago in preparation . I endured the worst migraine of my life due to the last go round.  Sheri does not enjoy being on a plane, but like labor there is something wonderful at the end.  It also helps that we will have some wonderful people with us.  We also hope to see the face of our little son on May 2nd, so we can begin the court paperwork and other processes to bring him home.  As Bailey explained to me today, "He is behind the blue gate, and we need to take the train there (the sewer grate reminds her of a train track) to get him."  How I wish that it was just a train ride to go get him and bring him back to Nampa.  I would envision a nice sleeper car with wonderful food, fold up beds and quickly scrolling by scenery pattern like North by Northwest or various James Bond films.  But, international intrigue is involved, hopefully with less fanfare.

In the end, we are going somewhere we never thought we would to do something that we both desire.

No comments:

Post a Comment