Thursday, April 7, 2011

These Thousands Hills

Sheri and I started talking at length about our decision to adopt on a trip back from the Grand Canyon with our family during March 2009.  We were not certain what country we wanted to adopt from, but we knew that we wanted to finish our family through that means.  We had discussed that we would love the chance to adopt from a few countries, but we did not know where to start.  After a great deal of prayer, many web searches and conversations, we decided upon Rwanda.  We did not know until a bit later that some of our best friends had also made that same decision.
As we started to go through the home study process, we read as many books about adoption and Rwanda (never together) as we could find.  We also sought out blogs, research sites and anything else that we could use to fill the void that we had in our adoption lexicon.  I read A Thousand Hills by Stephen Kinzer in an attempt to better understand the events that shaped the beautiful country of Rwanda.  I was very drawn to his imagery of the hills and mountains that make up the country.  I was captivated by Paul Kagame and the imperfect human approach to governing the country.  I was also horrified and intrigued by a history of pain and restoration that I knew would be present when we travelled to pick up our son.

At this same time I started singing a refrain that has constantly provided me comfort and support when things are not going perfectly.  Psalm 121 has often been in my prayers, my quiet time and very loudly driving in my car throughout my adult life.  I sing it in different keys, no keys and often in falsetto (which is not necessarily a good thing).  A few months after we completed our paperwork and submitted it to Rwanda, I pulled up a blog from one of the other prospecitve adoptive families.  As I was looking at the postings and how wonderfully they had put together their site, I could not help but notice the wonderful music that was playing in the background.  I recognized the band, Third Day, but it was a song I had not heard (These Thousand Hills).  I was emotionally drawn to the lyrcis that were not about Rwanda, but certainly there were pieces of it that reminded of what I had recently read and been singing.

"These thousand hills roll ever on
In footprints of a Mighty God
They bring me to my knees in praise
Amazing love, amazing grace
Was on a hill my Savior died
A broken heart, a bleeding side
Hill of the skull, Mount Calvary
The blood He shed, He shed for me
When heaven's hills at last I roam
Forever settle in my home
I'll join the saints around Your throne
Your kingdom, Lord, rolls ever on
These thousand hills roll ever on
Ripples of a coming storm
The morning star precedes the dawn
These thousand hills roll ever on"

I could not help but look up the lyrics, listen to it when possible and posted it to this blog as well.  It reminds me of Jesus' sacrifice for us.  It also reminds me of a country that I long to see that I admire.  It often seems like God is leaving little bread crumbs for us to find as we have waited over this last two years.  There is hope in the Psalms and this song, and I know that Rwanda continues to rebuild and renew itself 17 years later.

As we remember Genocide Memorial Day on April 7th, I am reminded that our son will be a wonderful addition to our family.  Our children cannot wait to play with him, go on vacation with him and generally just be around him all the time.  In this time of waiting and rememberance, it is important to remember that our help comes from God, from Golgotha and in Rwanda from the hills.  These songs remind, and the nice thing is I can sing wherever I go, including Rwanda.

God bless,

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment