Monday, June 6, 2011

The Inevitable

I have run into the inevitable over this last few weeks, and it is a bit difficult for the do-it-all dad. There are well-meaning comments and questions from wonderful friends and family members. There are those looks. The question is: "Are you okay?" The comments are: "You look very tired." and "You look exhausted." Very pride vanquishing, but certainly well-intentioned.

Then I remember that there are times when I really cannot do everything that I think that I can, and that I need to be open to help. Help from my wife, help from the kids, help from the in-laws, help from my parents, help from friends and help from God. I was reminded by one of the wonderful families that we traveled with to Rwanda and back, that "bonding is exhausting." Especially when you miss out on the first part of that child's life, and you are cramming so much into a short time. However, I know that I need to be carried at times, and I am darn heavy even for myself.

Each new week is better than the last. I know that bath time will get beyond screams at some point (mine, not his). I know that I will get to sleep before midnight someday soon. I also know that as we get through this Isaac will continue to be a beautiful, cute, wonderful boy who has a loving family that is working through being complete. And like other things, I cannot do everything all by myself. Time to reshuffle the goals, the expectations and the patterns that have become routine over the last nine years. Time to appreciate what is happening and be present with our family. Time to pray that I am strong enough to work through this daily.

Thank you friends and family for being so wonderful to our family over this last couple years and few weeks. I hope to be back to my normal, excitable self at any time now. Thank you God for a child that is wonderful.


Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment